Friday, September 18, 2009

Georgia's Birthday Photos (as promised)

We knew from the beginning that are only option to deliver Georgia was by a repeat c-section after studying the outcome of Jude's labor. And although this was the last thing we wanted to do based on recovery, we did take advantage of the one benefit we had—Scheduling her arrival. Georgia's due date was to be September 8th. That's just enough days to push her into the following year for school when it came time.

Around the 7th month of pregnancy, we got a chance to talk surgery dates. I had actually wanted her born in August - but our doc refused to go earlier than 39 weeks for good reasons. Which left me with one choice - September 1st so she could make the deadline for school enrollment.

Our day started fairly early. We were up at 4am getting dressed, loaded into the car and were due at the Maternity Ward by 5:30am. I had Josh take a photo of Georgia's belly just before we left. (Please note, this is Josh's "bird's eye" view of me - don't I look like a shrimp?)

Josh was guesstimating a 12 lb baby of course and I was guessing a little around 8lb 11oz
We showed up at the hospital to find out that we would not get a L&D room - and it took me a few minutes to figure out why (baby brain). So in the next hour we hung out in triage, they asked us questions, prepped me for surgery and got Josh his scrubs.By 7am they had me walk to the OR to get a spinal block. I spent the next handful of minutes waiting for the lower half of my body to become numb. Once I reached that point, Josh was called in to sit by my side.


And here is the first photo of our sweet girl... at a whopping 8lbs and 9oz with 20 inches in length. (sorry for the gruesome photo). GG would have beaten her brother in size if she had been given the opportunity to bake a few more weeks. She was very verbal and passed her Apgar score with a 9.9.. Georgia spent the next half hour yelping at the top of her lungs. (I was getting nervous of who I had given birth to)

After the initial cleaning and weighing, I finally go to see this sweet face. I wasn't expecting dark hair and olive skin. She was wide awake and so alert for her age. She also has most of her father's expressions which can get bizarre.
Several practices changed at the hospital since we had Jude. Its amazing how much some things evolve after a short 21 months. Georgia never left our side since delivery . We were able to start feeding her shortly after in the recovery room. Nurses and doctors even gave her the first bath in our room and examined her while we got to watch. (Yep, still crying)





Jude came to the hospital later that day - no picts to show, but he was very active. He even ran into another lady's room hollering momma and GG. It was the last time he was allowed to come visit.

We were discharged early Friday morning and headed back to Missouri City. At home, Jude was so excited to "hold the baby" as he kept chanting. He likes his sister so far, but we are soon fading into jealousy.
Of course, he loved her even more when he saw what gift she had in store for him.


Happy big brother - which makes happy momma and daddy.More news to come - as Jude says "Ok, bye bye"

1 comment:

Joy said...

Holly -- just had to say -- you look beautiful!!