Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hands Off!




When we finally got rid of the swaddle, we needed a blanket to keep Jude warm during the nights. But this blanket has a magical spell on Jude. He likes to grab hold and hug it while soothing himself to sleep. Bite it or suck on it. He likes to put his toes and fingers through the knit and he likes to cover his face with it. Therein lies the danger my friends. There have been times I've gone in at night to steal a peek and find his face covered. I've ever so gently reached in to pinch the cover and slide it off his face, or place it back over him to keep him warm. But at the slightest touch or breath, his eyes will pop open and stare you down for even thinking about touching his blanket during sleep. I can walk in - clean and vacuum his bedroom during his nap without his stirring, but touch the blanket - no ma'am.

So, here is my plea to Great Aunt Elsie - quick, make me a back-up :)

Look what an awful mom I am. I have toys in the crib and my child has his own blanket over his face. At least I removed the bumpers right? :P

2 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, I've had serious issues with this with Kara...

I was pretty laid back with Levi, but while I was pregnant with Kara, my co-workers grandson died in his crib from lack of oxygen (not sure if it was a blanket, toy, etc), so I have been SO paranoid now with Kara. She had NOTHING in her crib until she could sit up and roll both ways a million times. Then, I put the bumper in because she was falling through the slats (skinny little thighs). I don't think I will be able to do a blanket for a long time though (at least until she can stand up!). We just put Kara in long-sleeved pajamas and she stays warm. It's the only way I can sleep at night!

Having said that, I don't know how to solve your problem...other than to check on Jude 10 times a night :).

Joy said...

I was pretty paranoid from the beginning about this too, but once Charlie could lift his head, I calmed down a bit. He sleeps with his crocheted blanket over him and then he also has a thin blanket slipped though the ring on his pacy, and that blanket always ends up around him too. The bumper had to be removed once he learned he could use it to help pull himself up.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue!

I'm glad to know