Friday, April 4, 2008

Let's Talk about C-Sections

I will admit that after 30 hours of contractions it gave me a lot of time to think. Do I really want to deliver this child. He's huge. The doctor was certain he really couldn't be that much larger than 8lbs. As soon as they said, "We're sorry, but we'll have to do this by C-Section". I was relieved. A few weeks later I had actually wondered if I thought my way into a c-section. Of course, never feeling labor pain I'm sure had its bigger part to the mystery.

Although I was relieved, I've come to realize the trauma of the surgery itself. 4 months later, and I still feel pain. Doctors say you'll either be numb and won't feel anything (creepy) or you will feel everything and either of those sensations could last a year. And that's what I signed up for. Shooting pain along an incision. Tender, sore and still unable to wear pants with buttons.

There are still those mornings when I rise from bed bent over until I can work my way to standing straight. I still wake myself up during the night to roll over as well - which makes me laugh when I realize what I'm doing.

I admire those that had their babies the other way. They put up a lot of work up front. They seem to pep back and are virtually painless by 4 months. Back into jeans (maybe not their original size mind you - but pants with buttons).

Who knew slicing nerves would cost so much? All in all - I still say "phew, that was a close one." and the doctor said, we made the right call after pulling Jude into this world.

3 comments:

The Canada's said...

After having Lakyn, I was wishing that I had a c-section. I take that back now. I didn't know that you could have pain for that long! I hope it goes away soon for you.

-Lindsey

Joy said...

amen, girl! I feel your pain. I am currently at the stage of numbness, and then sudden burning pain that will come along for no reason! And this is almost 8 months later. None of my other abdominal surgeries did this, so I don't know why it happens.
-Joy

Alison said...

I had an AWFUL recovery with Levi...serious side-effects for 6 months (enough to go back to the doctor more than once) - and that was considered natural?!?!? After begging for a C-section with Kara, my doctor said I could be induced at 38 weeks to see if that made any difference. It made a HUGE difference and I was fine a few days after having Kara. Amazing. Maybe #2 will be a great birth story for you :) Something to look forward to, maybe?!?!