Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Regular Homemaker - Saving at least $20 per month

I've spent the past week preparing baby food and most recently baby wipes. I'm only frugal when it makes sense to do the extra work for a cheaper price. However, when time is extensive - my clock chimes to the sound of coins being wasted. Example - driving versus flying. I usually opt for flying if the distances takes more than 7 hours.

Baby Food - I enjoy cooking, so this is fun and I don't consider it a "waste" - except when I'm forced to clean it up :P. A serving of fruits or veggies shaves off .10-.20 each. That's about $9-$18 a month. The bigger plus is I get to make food combos that Jude actually enjoys. His favorites are Sweet Potatoes and Applesauce with Cinnamon, Butternut and Acorn Squash with cinnamon. Acorn and Peaches, Peaches and Bananas, Acorn and Applesauce, bananas and pears. I'm going to attempt to make some other combos to sneak in more "Greens" and spices appropriate for his age.

Baby Wipes - now this is the biggest shocker. Especially if you have a girl or you are in the first weeks of an infant's life. A sack will cost $6-8 and last a week to more depending on age and gender. Jude's intake has gone down when it comes to diapers - up when you consider sticky chins, fingers, toys and of course drool everywhere.

So, with homemade wipes, you've taken that to $1.00 or less. You can also get fancy and add the sensitive solutions or relaxing oils if you wish. I've just made lavender.

Step One

Strong paper towels work the best - like Viva.
Cut one roll of paper towels in half.
Take out the core so wipes pull out of the center.

Step Two

Make solution.

1 Cup Boiling Water
1 Tablespoon Baby Lotion
1 Tablespoon Baby soap
1 Tablespoon Baby Oil

Step Three

Place 1/2 roll of paper towels in container.
Pour solution over towels.
Store in container. Makes 1/2 roll.

I'll keep you posted if they work as well as purchasing brand items.

I think I might take this a step further and make my own "green" disinfectant wipes to target all those toys wrapped with drool or bananas. :).

So if you have an baby saving tips to share, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

Alison said...

I keep saying I'm going to make my own baby food...even borrowed all the containers and food processor from my friend and have yet to do it. Now I only have a couple of months left with baby food, so we'll see! Good for you though!!

I'm wondering about the wipes and how sensitive they are. Levi has such bad excema that we have to use super-sensitive on him (although we rarely have to use wipes with him anymore) and it looks like Kara is headed that way. Let me know what you think.