Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Jude's Birthday





Wednesday, November 28th, Mom and Dad went to the hospital to see if we could encourage Jude to come into this world. After all, this was his expected delivery date. We checked into the hospital at 8 am to start a mild induction. It was a hormone treatment that had a good chance of kick starting productive contractions and expecting delivery within a couple of days. But all opportunity had passed and we made it to our stand-by dr. visit.

Monday, December 3rd, we went to visit Dr. Zepeda. The Induction didn't work. We had sonogram to measure his weight and check how healthy he could be in the womb for a few more days. He was measuring 8lbs and 12oz. Dr. Z wanted us back to the hospital the next morning to go to plan B. Inducing with Pitocin. He also promised us we wouldn't leave the hospital without the boy.

Tuesday, December 4th, at 7 am we started our first round of Pitocin that would last for 8 hours. I was having several "off the chart" contractions, but wasn't feeling them. At 6 pm, we stopped the Pitocin and checked for results. Jude had finally dropped! Dr. Z let me rest and have my last meal. At 10 pm I was prescribed a pill that would encourage harder contractions.

Wednesday, December 5th 12AM, I spent most of my time that morning going to the bathroom or bothering Josh to unattach me from the machines to take me to the bathroom or thinking "There is no way I can get out of this!".

At 4 am the nurses placed me back on another bag of Pitocin. By 10 am we met with Dr. Zepeda again to check our progress. I had not dilated, so he tried one more trick. By 11:30 am things were looking good. I was asking for an epidural and my water was breaking. At 1:30 pm, Dr. Z came back for another check and not did I not dilate, Jude managed to retreat and go "back upstairs". After 30 hours of stimulating the uterus with no avail, we had to order a C-Section.

By 2pm I was prepped to go, Josh was in his scrubs and we were heading to the operating room. At 2:41 pm we had us a boy, straight from the ribs and weighing in at a hefty 9lbs and 4oz with a sleek 20.25 inches in length.